Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Sketch and Spot Illustration

Sketch night was a lot of fun last night. We had a guy named Shane Wolf sketching with us who brought some studies he'd made for a painting that were really great. Made me want to go out and draw some rocks. Lately I've been feeling like a hack because I still have to look up reference or shoot reference for all of my illustrations. He said something that really made me feel like I'm doing the right thing by not trying to work all from my imagination.

I've also got an illustration here that's several months old. I had to do a little spot illo for a story and decided to make it color for myself but I really didn't like the end result. I still need to work on illustrating women. Latest stuff which I haven't been able to post is a lot better. Trying to think about the saying, "you're only as good as your last piece" and it's really helped to push me to doing better stuff.

No comments: