Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Sketches

Couple of recent life drawings.Bit rusty. Had't gone to sketch group in a while . Just got a scanner that works with my work computer!! Not only that but it can scan an 11x17 area! woot! All of these are no taller than 7inches hah hah. I also just got some oil paints that I had been wanting. Haven't been able to work a lot lately. Completed a couple of pieces for Aberrant and am working on the last image for them. I've decided how many illos I'm going to do for the childrens book so I've got 9 of 25 of those done. As soon as I finish the Aberrant stuff and a cover gig, I'll be focusing on that mostly along with learning ZBrush.

The wife is questioning her job and considering changing to something riskier. May be an opportunity for me to look outside of Covington, KY for an hourly art gig because then I could dictate where we live maybe. I've got some time before that window of opportunity and I'm hoping that learning Zbrush will open up some job opportunities for me. So far I've just been watching the training vids a lot and have only done a little bit of playing. Elorgo's face from the previous post was made in zbrush and the staff in the Mage image was made in zbrush. As soon as one of the inheritances comes in I'll be able to afford the actual program rather than just playing with the demo version.

So there hasn't been a lot to be cheery about lately but there has been a good experience lately that I want to mention. The owner of DSS, Richard Leon, is a great guy to work for. The business has slowed down so I haven't really been art directing anymore except for putting together the occasional ad or giving feedback on various ideas. He came to me looking to have a cover done and I knew I'd be outside of the budget for the particular project and offered to find somebody or point him to some people. He insisted that it be me so he went with my rate. That alone makes him super awesome in my book. The other thing that makes him awesome is that I talked to him about tweaking the illustration brief a bit and he loved it. It was the first time I've talked to a client about changing the content of the brief and now I wish I'd ventured into it before. I think I can develope some creative concepts that clients will like but if a client's brief is very straight forward, I have always stuck to the brief religiously. I think it's lead to some generic components and I believe that's held me back from getting work with the big companies. For instance, Richard asked for a warrior goddess with a shield and sword. Had I not said anything, I would have made a rather plain greek woman with a typical sword and shield with maybe some inlay. The only thing conveying divinity being her flight and perhaps a glow. That's a pretty weak concept that doesn't really have any "wow" factor. Anyways, it looks like both me and the client are going to be happier with the end result.


No comments: