Friday, July 23, 2010

Adventure in being a texture artist

So I've been working on some texture work lately on a trial basis. Wrapped it up today and I have a good feeling they won't be hiring me on. Very unfortunate and disappointing as I'd really like to do the work.

Isn't there a saying that goes, "you don't know what you don't know." I didn't know jack about how difficult it is to be a texture artist. You might think it's just painting surfaces for a 3D object so that it looks like metal,skin, rust, dents, pores,dirt,etc. It's more graphic design than painting. I thought more of the surface of the models would be modeled so all I would be doing is painting textures. The whole side of a vehicle might be a single flat plane though and you've got to paint all of the doo dads like vents and cavities and the like and make their texture appear real. All of the stuff you paint also sort of needs to be devoid of a light source. So no highlighting up planes and putting down planes in shadow. What makes a difficult task even more difficult is trying to visualize an overall design for the object while you're working on a tiny section. Plus you're trying to concentrate on keeping your work ultra clean. Sort of felt like my work looked like you emptied a trash can onto the plane.

It's a real shame that I probably won't get the full contract. Could have meant a totally different lifestyle for me and my family.  I've been filled with so much anxiety over this thing that I wasn't able to sleep a wink last night. It's been a long time since I've wanted anything more than I was wanting this job. It was my first texture work though so I'm not ready to give up on that career option yet. Or maybe I'll get lucky and the client will see some promise in the work and I'll get the rest of the work.

The plan is to go ahead with learning 3D at the moment.

2 comments:

Cacodaemonia said...

Oh man, that sounds super stressful. :( I've been doing some much less difficult texture work (icon-sized bits, mostly), but I think I can understand your troubles to a degree. I can't imagine trying to paint the whole side of a vehicle with no light source... Kind of boggles the mind.

Well, I hope you get the job, but if not, you've got some experience with it under your belt now. Good luck!

Joe Slucher said...

It was the side of a space ship so there was a lot of stuff going on or that I needed to have going on. Also wanted a transformers design sensibility. As in, lots of little stuff everywhere and who knows what the hell is going on. Wings intersecting it too. Unexpectedly headache inducing. Not used to that level of tedium in my illustration work.