Monday, November 22, 2010

Illuxcon wrap-up

Wanted to finally do a post-Illuxcon post. Finn's been gettings sick lately and with Thanksgiving coming up, I feel like I've constantly been behind so this will be super fast.

I snuck in early and ran to check out Donato's work. Hit me like a ton of bricks. Walked away thinking, "whatever it takes to create something like that." I've been holding myself back from oils for a laundry list of reasons. "It's too slow for doing little $40 quarter-pagers that involve multiple figures," "scans always look bad and having to assemble multiple scans into one image takes a lot of time and looks bad," "working small enough for scanner means I'll never be happy with the faces". So I think now for any work where I can spend the extra time, I'm going to try to paint large paintings. I'll just have to pay somebody else for scans have a particular family member photograph them. I also just found out about photomerge so maybe that will help too. These numbers are arbitrary but I feel like I can hit a range of quality with digital that ranges from 5 to 8 while traditional offers a range from 1 to 10. While I could end up creating some absolute disasters I'm way more tempted by the possibility of hitting a 10.

I'm also going to try to do tighter drawings on toned paper so that it's another item I can sell. I mean I've been doing the drawings loosely and then tossing them and now I realize from the show that I've been missing an entire market and source of income. Toned paper apparently is more marketable.

Ralph Horsley and Wayne Reynolds use some miniature paints. Makes a lot of sense to me. Very opaque with great flow.

Paul Lehr-Kind of fascinated by how his palettes work.

Need more consistent light.

Unify my light masses.

Use color sliders for picking color to create more variation

Can accomplish more realism with hue changes and color bleed than with tons of detail.

Test design in 3 values.

Getting caught up in the details

Painting dark on top layer and erase out for lighter values. Makes it possible to control lights and darks separately.

No comments: