Wednesday, May 9, 2012

I hate horses

Finn has been sick this week so I haven't been able to work like I'd like to this week. I wasn't able to go to sketch group this week. Last week I finished the image from the previous post and that will be at the end of this post. Here's a work-in-progress shot of an image for that same project that will involve the same character. The character layer is turned off as it's still kind of a distracting mess at this point. Still not sure about some things in this one. I'll end up pushing and pulling some things more before it's done. Probably push everything beyond the rider a bit lighter to make the horse and rider pop more as a dark figure on a grey to light background.


3 comments:

Michael Prescott said...

The lighting in the second piece is very dramatic, I really like it.

Horses.. I hate them too! I had a heck of a time with the horse's head nose-on. http://www.trilemma.com/jude_wip/04a-Spellsinger-Casting-005.png

Your horse - the tail knocks my socks off, I have to say!

I think it's the perspective that's really challenging. It looks like you've got a fairly 'steep' perspective on the horse, but I'm not sure that's supported by the environment. As a result, the horse is either 4 meters long, or its front leg is really stumpy.

But.. it looks like it's going to be awesome.

Joe Slucher said...

What's happening with that front leg on it's right is that the first bend in the leg isn't coming across. I'm pretty much copying my reference for the horse pose (movie still and a statue).When I put the rider on that bend may be even less apparent. So I've got to work on making that clear or deviate from my reference.

Horses are tricky because they get that sheen where a lot of time photos leave the form as a confusing mass of muscles and reflexes and bony bits. There are so many photos of horses where I still can't tell you what is going on.

I'm debating on changing this horse to a white horse so that I don't have to worry about the sheen and can focus more on the form. Then I would have to make it more of a light figure on a dark background though. We'll see what happens.

SaintHax said...

It looks great. It's funny that you put you hate horses-- I read this from a woman that drew a horse and rider on the cover of another book, "random side note, horses are officially the hardest things to draw on EARTH!"

Evidently, horses are a pain for a lot of people. Keep up the good work!