Friday, June 22, 2012

Cover post-mortem

So I've decided the cover image I posted yesterday was unsuccessful.  I've been banging my head on the wall overnight thinking about what the problems and causes are. The reason being that I think I tried to make the brief something it wasn't instead of going with the flow.
I love monsters. I love developing monster concepts and I haven't gotten to do that in a while. I get this brief and it's a combat scene with a villain and I really wanted to make something of a kind of vanilla villain concept. I felt like the villain was a bit underpowered so I felt a need to scale the fighters down in impressiveness so that the image didn't feel like it was a cow at the slaughterhouse. My interest lied with the villain but the brief wanted the image to be about the heroes and their heroics. Thinking of that aspect of the illustration caused me to want to separate each of them with a heroic act and give each a fair amount of screen time. The original brief asked for 5 heroes if I remember correctly and I talked the client down to 3. So based on the original brief I really wanted make each hero really visible so my grouping choices perhaps could have been better if I didn't feel a need to giver everybody a spotlight.

The result is an image that feels....spotty?

What I Should Have Done

I should have put the camera looking over the villain's shoulder at the heroes flipping and charging in,etc. Or I could have put the camera on the ground looking past the villain's legs at the heroes. Or I could have taken the villain out entirely and have the heroes in profile charging across picture or even running right at camera. I probably made two dozen sketches for this and I think my love for monsters perhaps blinded me from making the right choice.

I think I'm going to try to do more of these write-ups as I really need to get better and I want to do it quickly. Some of these may just be, "render better" or "more attractive rendering and color unity"and then I'll hunt down where somebody did it better.

2 comments:

Maria said...

So the Ogre isn't the good guy then...

The detail is very good, but the focus is on the ogre. It's a VERY nice ogre btw.

Michael Prescott said...

Great idea, I look forward to more. What strikes me about the picture is the overlapping action, it confuses me. The silver knight gets lost in the falling blocks. Is he involved in a sort of near-tangent, given that he's not overlapping any of them? There's lots of bright and dark patches, which makes the value plan a bit complicated.