Saturday, July 14, 2012

Around the table

I finished that illustration. I'm not super happy with it. I think a big part of it is just the scene. The saloon/tavern is kind of an unexciting environment and conversations don't make for the most dramatic images. I think everybody on the sun has followed the same approach as me and focused on the lighting. Rango has a great saloon scene that really focuses on the light. Anyways, I decided to look up great artwork of conversations in my inspiration folder and to sort of look at approaches that perhaps worked better. Every illustration has different requirements so I'm not saying I could have done what these artists did but it's more to tell myself that better artwork can be made of these multi-figure combined with low drama scenes.

Here's how my illo turned out.

Here's a bunch of artwork by talented people.
 Dean Cornwell.Interesting picture. Focuses on patterns. Flips the norm of having the focal point have all the color. Instead focal point is the calm spot without much chroma.
 Rembrandt? Baby thought balloons and baby light. Bull going "wtf". Still, bringing all of the figures in tight to make a little circle really keeps me in the center and going round and round.
 Tadema? I suspect that the colors are faded in this reproduction and the dark clothed figure on the right also had a more of a cool temp to his drapery. I think this was likely another case of lots of saturation everywhere and then it's all sucked out in the figure on the right.
 Cornwell again. That streak of blue is really interesting.
Cornwell again. Purple and yellow. Another interesting streak but white this time.
 Tim Hilderbrandt. Anachronism
 Tadema. All eyes on white.
 Tadema. Nice figure grouping on the right.
 Tadema. Strange composition. Very strange. I wish I could ask about the reasoning.
 Cornwell. Those cast shadows and strong cool colors of the guy in shadow really make this for me.
 Cornwell.I like the angle and the poses. Not sure why everybody seems to lack expression or seem to be focusing on anything.
 Rockwell. Seems like the gaze of all of the characters make this work.
 Cornwell
 Rockwell. Again with the gazes. Not sure I'd still think this one works if it weren't for Rockwell's rendering ability.
 Rembrandt sketch? Look at that table kicking up light like a boss. Good moment in the scene. Perhaps I should have talked the client into doing a shot of the characters shaking hands or joining swords like here. Or cheersing each other.
 Tadema. Light figure on dark ground talking to dark figure on white ground. Kind of yin yang design.
Tadema. Interesting division of the composition.

No comments: