Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Update

Just finished a board or card game box cover. Modern day setting so it was a bit different for me and more focal points than I really like to have. It will probably be year before I can show it :(.

Went to sketch group last night and was just drawing terrible. It's always fun regardless.



Anyways, the only big update I have is that I'm working on my own IP finally. I've started making my own pen and paper RPG. That's really about as great a plan for riches as buying lottery tickets. A while back though, I made a style guide for a company planning on making a fantasy video game where I put together a document on the designs of various creatures,environments,items, buildings,etc. I went over different color palettes, shape language, silhouettes,etc. It was a lot of fun and I felt like the game could look really striking. It ended up being canceled due to funds and personnel changes. I was disappointed but most of the artwork was going to be executed by others so I wasn't too bothered. Then a pen and paper project came up where I was going to get to write and I thought I was going to have the same control as the video game thing but with the added goodness of writing for it as well. It turned out the project wasn't going to really give me any chance to define anything new. I was surprised to find myself so incredibly disappointed in that project not being what I wanted. So surprised that I decided that this was a serious problem. I obviously wanted desperately to make my own game but I wanted somebody else to pay me to do it. Well I shouldn't wait for that so I've begun it myself and things are really coming together quickly. All of the crunchy mechanics stuff should be done this month which was a lot of fun working on. The world concept is already together so I've mostly just got the art and the descriptions for the various cultures to work on. Once I've completed about 10 images for it and have some pages to show layout, I think I'll put together a Kickstarter with a low goal.

This all comes back around to another change I've made lately. I've been trying to do 30 minutes of work for myself each morning and 30 minutes to an hour more of work for myself every night. Usually my wife goes to bed at 10 and I go to bed at 11. In that time between I usually just play a video game as sort of my R&R for the day. Every morning I'm slow to begin work so I think doing my own thing first thing isn't actually cutting into my productivity for the day at all. Sometimes I'm using that time to exercise instead.

No comments: