Friday, January 17, 2014

Freelancing Again and Routine


Wow. I've really done a bad job of keeping this updated. So since September some things happened. I was promoted to art director at the game company I worked at. I didn't want to be art director but I felt like if I turned down the position the company may well have called it quits and the friends I made there would have been jobless.

So I stuck it out there for a while and found that I really wasn't enjoying it for a variety of reasons and wanted to return to freelancing. Why choose to be an artist if you're going to be okay with staying in a job you don't like? If all I wanted was money I never would have gone into art in the first place. So I'm back to freelancing, happier and more determined to be happy.

Things I learned working at IndiePub

  1. ROUTINE!
After leaving IndiePub I had a week of insanity finishing 6 illustrations within 7 days (sketches were already done though). For that week, I carried over my routine from working at IndiePub. Same hours plus with one hour of work at night (except on the last two nights where I worked on the weekend). I was able to finish all of the pieces in a satisfactory manner and some will even be portfolio pieces. Also, more amazingly. I wasn't as tired as I used to be.

This is probably common knowledge but I'll emphasize it anyways. Your body doesn't seem to like going to sleep at random hours and napping at random hours,etc. So now that I'm back to freelancing I'm going to try to keep to a regular schedule. It's always tempting as a freelancer to think, "well I'll just stay up a little bit because A)I'm too damn excited about this piece or B)I would like to get paid sooner."
Part of that routine needs to involve exercise. I was getting pretty unhealthy at IndiePub sitting on my rump for 12 hours a day, eating out at lunch, and not having time to exercise.

2.Get Technical
My art director when I started was very knowledgeable about all of the photoshop shortcuts,etc. Because of that, he seemed capable of working at a much faster speed. I need to dedicate more time to learning the keyboard shortcuts and practice more with using image adjustments.

3.People
In previous jobs I haven't really experienced the full work-place dynamics of co-workers. It was interesting. Because I hadn't had this experience before, I hardly asked enough questions before taking the job. I'm much more prepared now for whenever I next have to discuss employment with a company. I won't get into the nitty gritty but I feel much more business savvy. While I didn't want to be a manager anymore at this company, I feel like if I found somewhere I wanted to be a manager I could do a much better job now.

No comments: